PIA #2 Socratic Seminar Final Reflection
The seminar we held in
class on Friday made me think differently about certain questions and answers
on PIA #2. I found that with the
feedback of several different people, the questions in the PIA could be
interpreted in various ways. Many of my
classmates also made valid points on how answer choices different from the ones
I chose could be supported by the text. For
example, for the Jane Eyre story, some students argued that “justice is blind”
was a good theme for the story because there was no justice to Jane’s
situation. One thing said during the
seminar which I hadn’t thought of was how poor nutrition could be a social
problem. I argued that the social
problem highlighted in the Jane Eyre excerpt was poor parenting, but a point
was made that poor nutrition could possibly work, since nutrition of kids today
interferes so much with the government.
I felt that the seminar made we see certain parts of the PIA in a
different light.
The statement made by
one of my peers that I agree with the most was that the MLK and FDR speeches
both talked about the supervision of certain aspects of government. I thought this was the correct answer because
the MLK speech talked about how certain individuals are usually the ones who
cause trouble while groups can be trusted.
The FDR speech talked about how certain people in government have been
selfish wrongdoers and have proposed the lending of more money in their
favor. Therefore, both talked about how
certain people in government must be supervised. The statement made by my peers that I agree
with the least was that the best Jane Eyre story summary was one that included
her losing her temper and fighting John.
I disagreed with this statement because although she does lose her
temper, Jane never tries to physically fight John. She is the one who is bullied throughout the
story. If I had the opportunity to add
something to the seminar, I would have mentioned that I did not understand one
park of an excerpt from the MLK speech.
I did not have time to say this because we moved quickly along the MLK
questions to get to the Jane Eyre questions.
Something that worked
really well for the seminar was participation and use of evidence from the
text. In some seminars, there can be
awkward pauses in the conversation, but I thought that the seminar on Friday
flowed very smoothly, despite the fact that we basically only talked about the
Jane Eyre questions. Except for maybe
one or two students, everybody participated in the seminar and contributed
their answers. Another positive factor
in the seminar was the use of evidence from the text. Almost every person who participated included
either direct or indirect quotes to support why they chose a certain
answer. I thought that overall, this
seminar was the best one yet.
Since the seminar went
very well, there were few things that needed improvement. I thought the biggest problem, as usual, was
the lack of asking questions. Although
asking a question to the group was one of the requirements to get full points,
only three of four people in the seminar did it. Another problem was lack of preparation,
although this problem was very minor. During
the seminar, I observed some students who had not written evidence next to
their answers or had not completed the assignment at all. However, this seminar was surprisingly the
most entertaining and insightful one I participated in all year.
No comments:
Post a Comment